MASTER HOROLOGYUNITED ARAB EMIRATES
Master Horology is a collector from the UAE who started his horological journey some years ago. He explains to us his connectivity to his collection.
– What is your name and/or the alias you would like to go by?
– What country are you based in?
I am from Dubai, United Arab Emirates
– As a collector, what do you like to collect and what started your collection
I collect mechanical watches. I started collecting a few years ago and my first watch was a Bvlgari that was gifted to me.
– Could you further explain why you collect?
I appreciate high-end horology timepieces. I don’t mind if the outlook of the watch is simple, I simply just love complicated watches. Personally, I don’t like to run after very ‘hyped up’ watches as I only go for a watch that I feel suits me or speaks to me.
– Have you ever considered collecting something else other than what you already collect?
Not really. I love high-end horology watches but I carefully choose what I want. I spend a long time searching for the right piece before I purchase it. Hence, I don’t do impulsive buys.
– Would you care to share any not-so-great collecting experiences?
Sure, I used to also collect vintage Rolex’s. I have stopped doing that now merely due to the fact that, no matter how careful you are there is always a possibility for you to encounter some issue with vintage watches. I purchased a 1977 Submariner and a Datejust Quartz and both of them had a few faults including the glass on the dial being replaced and a service dial being put on the Rolex submariner. Both of which I couldn’t identify initially. That was during my early days of collecting and since then I have moved on from collecting vintage watches.
– As a collector, who would you say inspires you and why?
I find watch collecting to be an Art. Leonardo Di Vinci inspires me, as seen in his work, I find my collections to be a piece of art.
– What’s your opinion on reselling items you have bought for your personal collection?
I’m not geared towards selling watches that I have purchased for my personal collection. I would only sell a piece of mine if I feel I am not giving it enough wrist-time and for some reason I stop wearing it. These are the only reasons in my opinion I would consider selling.
– As a collector, have you inspired or convinced others to also start collecting?
Yes I have, many of my friends and family have started collecting. Apart from work and family time, most of my time goes on educating people about watch collecting. Different people have different opinions about collecting and I always try to advise people to purchase for the right reasons and not merely for investments purposes.
– And our final questions will be, will you ever stop collecting?
As I said, I find watch collecting to be an Art. I will end this note from a quote from Leonardo Di Vinci “ Art is never finished, only abandoned”